Tuesday, February 7, 2012

     Greetings, readers!  My name is Molly, and I have been well-rounded for the entirety of my conscious life.  Why "well-rounded," you ask?  Having been married for nearly 6 years, it was imperative early on in the relationship that my husband find a complimentary way to allude to my body-size.  This was for his personal safety.  Being the brilliant man I married, he chose "well-rounded" to describe both my character and my rear-end (his words, not mine).  As a child, my father was fixated on my weight, which was the only thing about his young daughter he could not "fix."  Because both of my parents were home 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, his attention to my body-size was a special sort of torment I was unable to avoid due to my unusual home environment.  My mother, may she rest in peace, offered me my first Slim-Fast at the age of 12.  I declined, and she allowed it.  Despite the shelter my mother provided, I lived my life in fear of what the scale would say when my dad made me get on it every single morning of my childhood.  He kept a food diary of my personal caloric intake, and even went so far as to send a list of foods I was not allowed to eat with me when I went to a friend's home to spend the night, to ensure that their parents would not ruin all of his hard work.  Are you sensing a bit of bitterness here?  As well you should.  The point of this emotional rant is this:  I have never experienced life as a thin person.  The skinniest I ever got was right before I became pregnant with my first son, and even then I was a size 14.  Since I am barely 5'1" in stature, this hardly counted as slim.  Living my life as a fat person in a country that caters to the slender, I have experienced my fair share of discrimination and humiliation, and I would be willing to bet that many of you reading this have as well.

     So tell me about it.  Fat or thin, big or small, what challenges have you faced regarding body image in America?  Has your weight ever affected your employment?  Salary?  Who you ask out on a date?  The way others treat you?  This can extend to friends and family as well.  Many times family can be the harshest critics, and this is your venue in which to vent.  Why is it still OK to ridicule people who have weight issues?  Why are overweight/obese Americans the only demographic that remains unprotected in professional and educational environments?  We make up over 60% of America's population.  WE are the majority, and deserve to be treated with respect.  

3 comments:

  1. I really like your blog because it is bold and honest. I compliment your ability to share your negative childhood experience to reach out to others. Not only is the message thought provoking but it sets the stage for discussion on the topic of weight. Many people shy away from the subject even though it is something most people struggle with at some point.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I mostly had problems with my mom's boyfriend making remarks when I was in high school. He is now her husband. I rarely talk to/see him now so I don't know if he says anything, but when I do see him I am still upset with him for how he treated me (and how he treats others).

    It is only in recent years that I am fighting with myself to not be ashamed of who I am or what I love or enjoy. To look in a mirror and not automatically think that no one will want to accept me because of how I look, or make assumptions about my life because of how I look.

    I look forward to reading your blog, I think it is important to love oneself regardless of how you look. I feel that in America we put too much emphasis weight, when we have many other things to be more worried about.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Personally, I am a fan of "well-rounded" women. In this generation with the empahsis on being skinny, I don't think we give enough credit to the well-rounded and still lovely, woman. I love that you are sharing your personal experiences and approaching sometimes touchy topics with a humourous manner. I look forward to reading more of your thoughts and stories.

    ReplyDelete