Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Truthful Tuesday

Image Courtesy of www.stationbay.com
     
     I have decided to propose Truthful Tuesday, a day on which my posts will discuss actual honest issues regarding weight, health, and happiness.  As for today's post, I would like to take a stab at one of my most prized addictions, soda.  I LOVE soda, pop, los refrescos.  In any language, carbonated, heavily sugared beverages bring me to my knees.  Unfortunately, this obsession with all things sweet, cold, and bubbly has brought with it a slew of unwanted side effects.  My addiction to caffeine is one place to begin, but why stop there when I can also include the addiction to sugar my body has no doubt acquired.  While it may sound somewhat silly, going more than 12 hours without my favorite neon-green soda pop renders me nearly unable to function due to debilitating headaches and a complete lack of energy.  Given this unnatural obsession with a beverage, I thought it might be a good idea to do a little research into the effects my habit is likely having on my health.
     After spending some time trying to find reputable sources for my post, I stumbled across a selection of quotes that specifically apply to soda consumption and one's health:


James A Howenstine M.D.
A Physician's Guide to Natural Health Products That Work

"In an interesting experiment the sugar from one soft drink was able to damage the white blood cells'                                             
 ability to ingest and kill gonococcal bacteria for seven hours." 
          
"Soft drinks also contain large quantities of phosphorus, which when excreted pulls calcium out of the
 bones.    Heavy users of soft drinks will have osteoporosis along with their damaged arteries."

Marion Nestle
Food Politics: How the Food Industry Influences Nutrition and Health (California Studies in Food and Culture) 

"The relationship between soft drink consumption and body weight is so strong that researchers calculate that for each additional soda consumed, the risk of obesity increases 1.6 times."

"Adolescents who consume soft drinks display a risk of bone fractures three to four-fold higher than those who do not."

"Sugar and acid in soft drinks so easily dissolve tooth enamel."

      Even more shocking is the affect soda consumption has on the risk for diabetes, as even one soda a day can greatly increase a person's risk of developing type 2 diabetes. 

Now it's your turn.  Have any of you been compelled to slow or stop all together the consumption of soda?  Have you or a member of your friends or family been directly affected by diabetes?  I welcome any comments or advice you may have to give.  Together we can both educate and learn more about the health risks facing our community.

2 comments:

  1. I'm in this boat. I LOVE Coca Cola. I drink it way too much and know I shouldn't. I've tried on several occasions to cut back, but it seems I always end up back to where I was because Coke just seems to go with most dinner items for me. I guess I'll continue on with my attempts to cut back...perhaps I'll be successful one day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I actually stopped drinking soda altogether for the longest time! I switched to water or tea only, and maybe lemonade and such. Sometimes when I would go out with family/friends I would have a soda, but really if you completely stop drinking it for a long time then have one it will sometimes feel like it's burning your throat, or taste waaay too syrup-y. I actually feel pretty guilty when I drink soda now, just because I know it's not good for me.
    I know some people who have diabetes, it's sad to see how they have to alter their diet and can't eat or drink some of the things they love, even some fresh fruits are basically "blacklisted" because they can create sugar in our bodies.

    ReplyDelete